Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I'm getting this sinking feeling...

...well it is more of a settling feeling. Only two weeks down and I am somewhat able to comprehend that this is my new home, my feet are my new car (windshield wipers not included), learning spanish is my new job, and my umbrella is my new favorite accessory. New discovery; my left front pocket of my pants is actually good for putting things in now that it is not occupied by an ever ringing cell phone... quite liberating! Other new discoveries include; headboards with crushed red velvet on them, lemon-lime flavored mayonnaise, and asthmatic dogs are no cause for concern (no less surprising though).

School has been a challenging aspect of life, not so much the language part but more just being a student again. There is a huge benefit in the fact that I am forced to use what I have learned and studied in my everyday life... just a bit different than those Organic Chemistry classes (still don't know what I was thinking taking those). I have been going to a small cafe everyday after class to do my studying, and have been fortunate enough to meet Susan and Jose who hardly ever have any customers except for my study mates and me. It has provided us with some great opportunities to converse with folks in our new tongue. God bless this place for a population of people who are willing to speak slowly and be patient with a gringo such as myself! Pura Vida!

The more that I hear the more I am convinced that God has put me in the right place. The consensus between Costa Ricans is that if you were to go into Los Guidos (the community of focus for our mission sites) you will not come out alive. It is a place that has been given up on by many, left to destroy itself. Within the last year, three mission organizations have decided to pull out their commitments in Los Guidos, calling it “a lost cause.” The young idealist in me has a Grand Canyon sized crack in his heart to hear of anyone referred to as a lost cause. The broken and scared little boy in me knows that we are all lost causes, and thus the need for the sufficiency of Christ. If our mission is to fix the problems of this community we will fail. If our mission is to eliminate poverty and hunger we will fail. If our mission is to eliminate underage prostitution we will fail. But if we have a much simpler goal of allowing those around us to see the light of Christ in us we will all succeed. We are crazy for going into this place. We are crazy to care. We are crazy to think that the few of us that are broken for these people will be able to change a thing. But, “If we are out of our mind, it is for the sake of God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you. For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again” 2 Corinthians 5:13-15


I still don't know the roads we'll take, but it seems like we're heading in the right direction...

5 comments:

  1. LOVE it. i just welled up with excitement for the adventure that lies ahead of you. so stoked, so proud :)

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needless to say, I'm getting used to crying at my desk when I read your updates, son...guess those around me will have to, as well. My heart is SO full of awe for what you are experiencing, and I am so grateful for technology that enables me to live vicariously through your blogs! There's no doubt in my mind that the inhabitants of Los Guidos will not know what hit them once they've met the likes of you, as you've never given up on anyone or anything. So, guess we need to learn how to say "You ain't seen nuthin' yet!" in Spanish... Be safe, be aware, be covered by God's grace and comforted by his mercy, always and forever! Te amo. Memo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dustin - Your mom has forwarded your blog to me and I love it! The words you use to describe what God has led you to do are inspiring. What a gift you have. Know that you are being prayed for - and the people you haven't even been in contact with are being prayed for. God has a plan for all of us and it is encouraging to see someone actually stepping out in a big way to follow that plan. Blessings to you! Lori Phillips

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dustin, you are an AMAZING man of God! I am so excited to see what He has in store for you. You also have a wonderful gift of language. Please keep writing. Be safe, be strong, and SHINE my friend! - ♥ Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dustin.. What's up Man?! I haven't talked to you in a while... but i'm really diggin the blog! I hope all is well over there(by well I mean I hope God is blessing you with strength and peace, and those around you with abundant joy from the reflection of God's love through you!). Good luck with the spanish man... once you get the basics down... learning gets easier and easier, and even enjoyable. Keep up with the blog! Love you brother. -Adrian

    ReplyDelete