Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Class is in session.

With the darkroom complete, and my photography/developing skills mastered (okay, maybe not “mastered”) the photography studio opened it’s doors to the general public of La Capri two weeks ago. The dark room is functioning splendidly. Thanks to Roger (a photography professor from Fresno City College, who was kind enough to spend a week here in Costa Rica teaching me how to teach photography) I feel confident that the prints being made in the studio are of good quality. I feel confident that the darkroom is ready for students. I feel confident (or at least that is what I tell myself) that I CAN teach photography. That I CAN help these kids find interest, talent, and passion. That WE CAN help others better themselves. That WE CAN help others find their true identity.


Heiner (14) showed up the very first day. He seemed excited to learn about photography and developing. We just chatted for a bit, and then he left promising to come back the next day. But before he left, he asked for money. I told him that thats not what we’re here for, but that I am more than happy to teach him about photography and teach him how to use that as a means to earn money... Heiner hasn’t been back since. This seems to be the sad side effects of some short term mission groups that go into an area of poverty, give out things, and then leave. I get the overwhelming sensation that this is what is expected of me. I am a gringo, therefore I have money, therefore I should give it to them, and then I should leave... This is going to take time. It will take time for people of this community to trust me. It will take time for people of this community to know that I’m not going away tomorrow. It will take time for people of this community to want to invest their time. It will take time for students to come.


For now, I am waiting. I’m practicing patience, something I don’t have a lot of. I am trusting that the kids that need the most help will come. I am trusting, hoping, and praying that the studio can be a place for the broken and needy. I am praying that Heiner comes back.


I still don’t know the roads we’ll take, but it seems like we’re heading in the right direction...

1 comment:

  1. I hear the cry of your heart, son, and I will absolutely be joining you in praying for that one student to show up to the studio; realize its purpose and potential in bettering their life; and bring others to join in his or her wonderful "discovery". Meanwhile, I will throw in a request for patience, on your part, so you don't have to end up playing "Red Light - Green Light" with your students (inside joke). Love, Mom.

    ReplyDelete