Sunday, July 3, 2011

me oyes?



Five months into the start of the new studio site and it feels as though I have been here all along. What seemed to be a set back (in having to change locations only three months in to teaching in La Capri) has proven to be a blessing. More students, the majority boys without any role models to speak of. Some days we take pictures, some days we develop, some days we paint, some we play soccer,some we go for hikes, some we just hang out. Though what we do is photography, what is most important is just the time together. I am so proud of the pictures below, taken and/or printed by the students, but what I am more proud of are the moments I get to share with these boys. The need is evident in the fact that in the last two months two of my 6 students [Mono (who's real name is Elvis... I couldn't make this up people) and Yerman] have been arrested. Though it is discouraging and difficult, I am reminded that it is all worthwhile when I am in the darkroom with Mono and he puts his hand on my shoulder and says, "you know that you are one of my best friends right?" Moments like these are reminders that these relationships are life changing and life giving.

...more pictures to come....

I still don't know the roads we'll take, but it seems like we're heading in the right direction...

1 comment:

  1. Praise God :) So encouraging, Dustin! & the pictures look fantastic, too :)

    ReplyDelete